
Another School Year, Another Dollar (or five)
Aah, the beginning of another school year. My time is spent prior to the first day with endless mind-numbing activities. Filling out the same bazillion forms for different children, hunting down imaginary school supplies from mile long lists, fighting other parents for the last sturdy backpack that isn't covered with Bratz or Barney, and, of course, writing checks for lunches, PTO dues, school spirit T-shirts, yearbooks, etc.
Do I sound a bit bitter? Probably so. I have to admit I have mixed feelings about school time. My girls love school, and after a long summer, we all look forward to school starting. I just don't enjoy all the mess that comes with it. For example, there is always at least one item on each kid's list that doesn't exist. This year, it was the 70 page, single subject notebook for Eva. I could find 80 page ones and larger, but no 80 page ones. I know, I probably went to the one store that didn't carry them, but who wants to schlep all over town for a notebook. So, ten extra pages it is for Eva.
It sounds silly, but those pages represent all the silliness that is the beginning of school. We happen to live in a school district full of parents that I can only suppose are able to write checks without batting an eye. It's a great district with lots of advantages for my kids, but the downside is we must be one of the 'poorer' families. Otherwise, more parents would balk at all the money that's asked of us at the beginning of the year. This year we are homeschooling Colin so we didn't receive a supply list for him, but I understand that a flash drive was on the list. Come on, a sixth grader needs a flash drive?!
So what's a mother of four to do? Protest. I only pay for the necessities like lunch. If they ask why I haven't sent in my $25 per kid for class parties, then I'll volunteer to bring cupcakes. I doubt it will make any difference except in my pocketbook. Maybe with the extra money, I can buy the real Cheez-Its for kids snacks instead of the store brand.
3 comments:
Nice use of the word "schlep." = )
Really, you are so correct on the countless forms and fees there are. This being Bryn's only 2nd year, I haven't had to deal with it as much, but am dreading the days when I have three boys at it!
Sis, you need to get the tribe stuff done for the kids.
Love ya much!
Oh and which one is Eva on the bus?
I remember those days. You might as well start now saving for senior year -between Sr. pictures, prom, graduation and many other things it costs a fortune. It does break you in for college and weddings which are so much worse. Let us know how your protest goes and if you have to bake cupcakes!
I am right there with ya. Eleanor's kindergarten list was a mile long. I ended up spending about $85 on just her list and they are still going to request a different item each month for the parents to donate. I happened to bring it up at Curriculum night and the place went nuts with questions and comments on the expense it is. I guess I am not the only one balking at this. One thing I do love is the PTSO asked for a donation of $25 per child in lieu of selling all the crap that we have not sold at every other school. Alan and I have been hoping the schools would do this and it has finally come to pass.
Post a Comment