Sunday, June 15, 2008

Trouble in the Nursery

Well, it has happened twice in one month: Liam was kicked out of the nursery. The first time he was hitting a child. Today, he just couldn't stop running. Part of me is frustrated and then the other part realizes that life just isn't normal with Liam. His speech delay frustrates him especially in those 'that kid took the toy, but you didn't see it and I can't tell you situation'. His sensory issues come to play when he gets overtired, overstimulated, or hungry. All of the above send him into tizzy. It can be just as frustrating to him as it is to whomever happens to have the joy of taking are of him at that moment. He is a great kid, but even I am exhausted by the precarious dance each day. God must really trust me.

3 comments:

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

It is so hard for people to understand extremely active children. They are just different and so very challenging. But they turn into great older kids and adults if we just can be patient. Hang in there. Just keep working with those nursery folks and he will learn to talk and will grow up and this will all be a distant memory! Hang in there, Mama.

Angie said...

I feel for you, Amy. We are going through the same thing with Tiago right now. Sometimes it is so hard to be patient. It is nice to know that I'm not alone.

be you blithe and bonny said...

Ah Ames, I am sorry this has happened again. As much as I want to be snide about the hearts of others needing to be softened, I will try and hold back, a bit.

I've often felt that my oldest has been labeled as one of wild ones (which is true some of the time) and it's been hard at times in church (especially sunbeams when he insisted on running to the microphone and become a roaring dinosaur). I feel very hopeful that the right hearts will be touched and softened , so that they can reach out and help make the nursery and primary experience a positive one for our dear sweet Liam.
What I just don't understand is how could they not melt when looking in his eyes?!