Thursday, July 16, 2009


Currently, Andrew and Colin are at Scout camp. I have to admit that I've always been a little skeptical of a group of boys running around in the woods in paramilitary uniforms, setting fires and sharpening knives. And this was before I knew about the rifle or the shotgun shooting merit badges which I will get to in a minute. Apparently, my son has taken to Scouting like a mosquito on the back of my ankle. He is thriving at camp, has a good attitude and does whatever is asked of him. Where did this kid come from? Just a year ago, we were worried about him enough to pull him from public school and homeschool him. Gone is the sullen, moody kid. What has arrived is a tall, respectful, responsible and dare I say happy young man. An interest in Scouting is just one of the changes in Colin. Playing the guitar has given him an artistic outlet. He has always had a good ear and can quickly pick up rhythms and notes. Having something that he is really good at has given him confidence. So about that merit badge. One of the badges Colin is working on is the rifle shooting one and he's loving it. A year previous I would have been wary, today I'm thoughtful and optimistic about where he is headed in life.

1 comment:

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

Ah, the mood swings of adolescence! Anyone who can produce a kid that loves scout camp should be commended. I am impressed! Maybe he will get all the gun shooting out of his system at camp.....